Exempt (Salary) or Non Exempt (Hourly)
1. The office payroll manager Nancy keeps the books, does the payroll
and dispatches the plumbers. She makes $600 a week. Y N
2. Jack is paid $600 a week plus a commission to sell insurance from the office. Y N
Regular & OT Pay Issues
3. Am I entitled to my two weeks vacation if I quit? Y N
4. My boss promised me a raise after six months and now he has
changed his mind. Does he have to give me the raise? Y N
5. Entitled to OT? Tom was paid $1,000 for piece work for a 42 hour week. Y N
Did the Employee Win the Unemployment Claim?
6. During a heated moment an employee says “I quit my job” Y N
7. You have been telling Tom to stop being late. You eventually fire him. Y N
8. Nancy does not show up for work, nor does she call for 2 days. Y N
9. An employee that has been with you three years keeps making the
same mistake. You are just plain tired of her sloppy work and you fire her. Y N
Employee, Subcontractor, or not an Employee.
10. Jack does all of your cabinet installation work. Occasionally he does
odd jobs by himself. E S NE
11. You’re using an employee leasing company. E S NE
Answers: 1. NE, 2..E, 3. Y & N. Depends on your written policy, 4. N, 5. N, 6. N
7. Most cases we have seen, Y, 8. Y, 9. Y, 10. S, 11. NE
Sharpen your skills. Go to our site’s HR link. The brief seminars may be copied to a CD.